Skip to content
                      Site Tools
                      Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color blue color green color
                      Home Legal Related How to Apply for a Chinese Green Card
                      How to Apply for a Chinese Green Card
                      Legal Related

                      In this article, you will learn: About Chinese Green Card, Dos & Don'ts, How to Apply and some Tips.

                      About Chinese Green Card
                      With the approval of China's State Council, the Minister of Public Security, Zhou Yongkang, and the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Li Zhaoxing, jointly endorsed Decree No.74 and officially issued the Regulations on Examination and Approval of Permanent Residence of Foreigners in China for implementation on August 15.
                      According to this regulation, foreigners with eligibility for permanent residence in China will be granted a certificate of identification commonly known as a "Green Card."

                      The regulation has 29 articles in all, specifying the explicit provisions on the prerequisites for foreigners wishing to apply for permanent residence permits in China, required supporting documents, steps to be followed, limits of authority, and cancellation of eligibility, etc.

                      History of Chinese Green Card
                      In 1986, for the first time China granted a German the permanent resident permit, which was looked upon as China's first "Green Card" for foreigners.

                      In 1991, four foreigners got the certificate from the Tianjin Public Security Bureau for their outstanding contribution to Tianjin's economic development.

                      By the end of 2001, China had devised a plan to regulate a "Green Card" system. Subsequently, major cities including Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou issued related regulations.

                      The Law of the People's Republic of China on Control of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners adopted by the Standing Committee of the People's Congress in November 1985.

                      The Enforcement Regulations on Law of the People's Republic of China on Control of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners revised in July 1994.

                      With the Green Card, You can
                      -- stay in China for an unlimited period of time
                      --enter and leave the country with your valid passport and Foreigner Permanent Residence Permits, with no need to obtain visas
                      --use the Greencard as your single legal document during your time in China.
                      --have a card even more useful than the resettlement certificate or permanent residence certificate.

                      However, you should not:
                      --Endanger national security and interests
                      --Be sentenced to expulsion from China by the People's Court
                      --Gain permanent resident status in China by means of fraud
                      --Lack proof of residence in China for less than the required number of years

                      Your status of permanent residence may be revoked in the above circumstances.

                      How to Apply
                      To qualify for the Green card, you need to fulfill at least one of the following criteria:
                      I Be a high-level foreign expert holding a post in a business that promote China's economic, scientific and technological development, or social progress.
                      II Have made outstanding contributions, or are of special importance to China.
                      III Have made large direct investment of over 500 thousand US dollars in China.
                      IV Come to China to be with your family, such as husband or wife, minors dependent on their parents, and senior citizens dependent on their relatives.

                      How to Apply for the certificate
                      I Submit an application to the public security organ of the People's Government at the city level or the branch office or county office of the public security bureau of a municipality directly under the central government, which is in charge of the community of the applicant's major investment or long-term residence,
                      II Provide the specified application documents.
                      III The public security body shall investigate and verify the conditions of the applicant according to the specified prerequisites.
                      IV The local department will submit the application to the Ministry of Public Security for examination and approval.
                      V The ministry shall decide whether to approve or reject the application for permanent residence permit within 6 months of receiving the application.
                      VI Upon the approval of the Ministry of Public Security, the applicant will be granted a Foreigner Permanent Residence Permit by the Ministry of Public Security.

                      AND To applicants outside China
                      A Foreigner Permanent Resident Status Confirmation Letter shall be issued by the Ministry of Public Security, with which they may apply for D Visas from a Chinese embassy or consulate abroad, and receive the Foreigner Permanent Residence Permits from the public security organ which handles their applications within 30 days of entering China.

                      For holders of the previous resettlement or permanent residence certificates, you can go to the Entry-Exit Administration of the Public Security Bureau and change over to the new green card.

                      You Should Submit:
                      A Valid Passport or equivalent
                      B Health certificate issued at state level
                      C Credentials proving no criminal record by China embassies or consulates
                      D Two passport photos, no hat
                      E Other relevant credentials if required.

                      The fee for the new green card certificate is 300 yuan or about 36 dollars.
                      The cost of getting a new card is 1500 yuan or about 180 dollars.

                      The Foreigner Permanent Residence Permits are valid for five or ten years.
                      --Certificates with five-year validity are granted to minors.
                      --Certificates with ten-year validity are granted to adults.


                      I Routes
                      In Beijing, the "Green Card" application files are accepted by the Entry-Exit Administration of the Public Security Bureau. You have three ways to get to the office:

                      First, by Taxi; the name of the office is "Beijing Shi Chu Ru Jing Guan Li Chu," (北京市出入境管理處) and it can be found to the east of Yonghe Gong.

                      Second, by subway, get off at Yonghe Gong, and take the B exit out of the station. The building is about 300 metres to the east of the station.

                      Third, take a map and drive, cycle, walk, skateboard or pogo.

                      I believe it's not hard for you to find this place as this is also the visa office, so you've probably been before.

                      II Time
                      The agency is open from Monday to Saturday, 8:30 to 12:00 in the morning, 13:00 to 17:00 in the afternoon.

                      Saturday may not be a good choice. I went to the office on a Saturday, the officer there told me that they are very busy on Saturdaies and have little time to answer questions.

                      III The last but not least
                      Take a Chinese friend or an interpreter with you. Of course I believe that your Chinese is good enough, but since the English version of the regulation is still being worked on you'd better let your friend help you translate the exact meaning of some articles.


                      China Yellow Pages