Skip to content
                      Site Tools
                      Increase font size Decrease font size Default font size default color blue color green color
                      Home Legal Related
                      China Living Tips_Legal Related
                      Residence Permits in China
                      Legal Related
                      It is not your visa but your residence permit that gives you the right to live in China. Upon arrival in China, you have 30 days to obtain your residence permit.

                      Your initial visa grants you the right to enter China for a specific purpose, but expires after a few months. If you wish to stay longer in China, you will need to apply for a residence permit which works like a multiple-entry visa, allowing you to leave the country and return without an additional visa as long as the permit remains valid (even if your original visa has expired).

                      Types of residence permits

                      There are three types of residence permits that allow you to live in China:
                      • Permanent residence permits (little green booklets) are issued to those holding a D visa and are renewable every 10 years.
                      • Temporary residence permits are valid for 6-12 months. Generally required for visiting scholars or those entering for job training.
                      • Foreigner Residence Permits are normally valid for one year and are renewable annually. They are the standard residence permits issued to the majority of foreigners working in China.
                      Frequently Asked Questions on Chinese Visa
                      Legal Related
                      Frequently Asked Questions on Chinese Visa
                      Frequently Asked Questions

                      1. Should I apply for a visa to visit the mainland China?

                      A: Aliens to visit China are generally required to apply for visas in advance, but the following aliens are exceptions:

                      1) Ordinary passport holders from Singapore, Brunei and Japan can gain access to China without applying for visas for up to 15 days for business, sightseeing, visiting relatives and friends, or transit. They can enter and exit from the ports that are open to foreigners.

                      The following citizens of Singapore, Brunei and Japan are also required to apply for visas before they enter into China:
                      1) Ordinary passport holders intending to stay in China for more than 15 days;
                      2) Ordinary passport holders intending to study, work, reside or gather news;
                      3) Diplomatic passport or Official passport holders.
                      How can expats import their personal cars to China?
                      Legal Related
                      As to non-residential permanent visitors' cars for personal use, please see Measures of the Customs of the People's Republic of China for Supervising the Import and Export of Articles for Personal -residUse of Nonential Permanent Visitors (Order of the General Administration of Customs of the People's Republic of China (No.116)).

                      Pay taxes according to the rules.


                      a. Tariff rate: 25%; value added tax rate: 17%;
                       consumption tax rate: 12% for cross-country vehicles installed with spark-ignition reciprocating or rotary
                      internal combustion piston engines with a displacement between 2.5 and 3.0 liters (please see also Announcement of the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China (No.25 of 2006).

                      b. Calculating formula: amount of tax= duty-paid price*tariff rate; amount of value added
                      tax= (duty-paid price+ actual tariff levied+ actual consumption tax levied) * value added tax rate; amount of consumption tax= [(duty-paid price+ actual tariff levied)/ (1- consumption
                      tax rate)] *consumption tax rate.
                      Obtaining a Driver's License
                      Legal Related

                      altForeigners can get a driver’s license in China.

                      Who should apply for a driver’s license in China?
                      Foreigners from any other country who want to drive in China must apply for a driver’s license. International driver’s licenses are not recognized in China. Licenses are valid in the Chinese mainland only. Residents from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan also need to apply for a driver’s license to drive in the mainland of China.

                      A Brief Introduction to Chinese Visa and the Procedure for Visa Application
                      Legal Related
                      1) Chinese visa is a permit issued to a foreigner by
                      the Chinese visa authorities for entry into, exit from
                      or transit through the Chinese territory. The Chinese visa authorities may issue a Diplomatic, Courtesy,
                      Service or Ordinary Visa to a foreigner according to his/her identity, purpose of visit to China and
                      passport type.

                      2) The Ordinary Visa consists of eight sub-categories, which are respectively marked with Chinese phonetic letters L, F, Z, X, C, G, D, J-1and J-2.

                      L Visa: Issued to an applicant who comes to China
                      for tourist purposes, family visiting or other personal affairs.

                      F Visa: Issued to an applicant who is invited to China for visit, research, lecture, business, scientific-technological and culture exchanges or short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months.

                      Z Visa: Issued to an applicant who is to take up a post or employment in China, and their accompanying family members.
                      Foster An Animal - SCAA Foster Care Programme Frequently Asked Questions
                      Legal Related
                      Are you living in Shanghai temporarily and cannot permanently adopt an
                      animal, but miss having a pet in your
                      home? Are quarantine laws so strict in
                      your home country that you can't face putting an adopted animal through the experience but would love to have pets
                      in your home while posted in Shanghai?
                      Do you travel too much and think it
                      would be unfair to leave a pet at home
                      alone too often but miss having a furry friend loving you whenever you return to your home? If so, then SCAA foster
                      care may just be the way to help save an animal in need and allow you to have a part-time
                      pet to share your life while you are living in Shanghai!! Please note that all foster care parents must sign a waiver.
                      << Start < Prev 1 2 3 Next > End >>

                      Page 2 of 3

                      China Yellow Pages